This is a head line that i have just read from The Sheffield Star. I was shocked when I read the article! Obviously being an electrician in Sheffield, I take electrical safety very seriously and in my opinion I think more needs to be done to educate the Sheffield people about electrical safety at home.
I have compiled a few helpful tips below so that everyone can remain safe:
- Never use fake chargers or electrical items. Fake electrical items have not passed the vigorous testing procedures like the official items.
- Never leave electrical appliances turned ON and unattended. I have unfortunately attended many installations where there has been an electrical fire due to an appliance running unattended such as dryers etc.
Always use an RCD protected circuit. If you don’t have an RCD on your fuse board, then i would recommend getting your fuse board upgraded or if that isn’t an option for you right now, then please at least use an RCD socket which can be picked up at many DIY chains.
- Always check the condition of electrical items before use. Look out for things like: Discolouration, melted plugs,damaged cables or any kind of break-down in the cable/housing material.
- Make sure you have a valid EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report). This will highlight any dangers which may be lurking within your installation and also any safety devices which may have become faulty or damaged.
- Check that your smoke alarms are functioning correctly – Press the test button and make sure they sound. It takes 5 seconds and could save your life.
- Do not overload extension leads. Remember check the ampage of the items you’re plugging in. If they add up to more than 13 amps then don’t plug it in
Don’t add to the statistics! If your in doubt about your electrical safety, give us a shout!
0114 4181 362